Day 76 - One last national park

 I woke up to another crisp, chilly morning with a LOT of dew.  Since I wasn’t in a hurry, didn’t have anywhere in particular to go, and didn’t want to pack up the camper wet (again!), I started with pancakes on the griddle one last time.  Then I went for a morning hike through the park.

The hike was amazing, I got in just under 7 miles on some of the STEEPEST paths I’ve ever been on.  There were so many sections that were steeper than a staircase!  But the most interesting part of the morning was that I didn’t see another human for the entirety of my hike!  I did encounter a box turtle who was eating something off the path, but otherwise it was just me and the birds.  What a relaxing way to start the day.


After getting back to camp, I set my destination for a campsite within the nation’s newest National Park - New River Gorge in West Virginia.  All the campsites there were first come first serve so I had my fingers crossed that there would still be a site for me.  


Because I was going to New River Gorge National Park, I got to do something I’ve always wanted to do - drive through West Virginia without taking the toll road.  I’ve always been curious about what it takes to get around it.  The answer is that it takes a little bit of extra time and a few extra miles, but otherwise it follows a similar path though you get to visit some of the small towns along the way.


After a lot of twisting and winding, I turned off the paved road towards Glade Creek Campground.  After about 5 miles of dusty gravel (with the outside shower head of the camper popping loose a few times due to the bumps), I arrived at camp and grabbed THE LAST SITE!!!!  I set up camp and started to explore the area.  As I walked down to the river I captured what might just be my best picture of the trip!  


I had arrived early and so I had time to do a longer hike.  I started up the Glade Creek trail and just kept going slowly uphill.  Eventually I realized that the sun was setting so I turned around and walk/jogged my way back to camp.  I was very sweaty when I returned.




I enjoyed some dinner and then I sat down on a rock that was in the river and listened to the sound of the water going past knowing that this was my last sunset in nature for a while.  While I would say I wasn’t ready to go home, it felt right that the trip was coming to an end.  But finishing with many peaceful deep breaths without anybody in sight sitting on a rock in the river just felt so right.  I genuinely hope there are more days like this in the future.




Eventually I pried myself off the rock and headed back to camp for the night.  It was already cooling off and I knew it would be a great night for my last night in the camper.


Total mileage - 13,337

# States/Provinces - 22 / 2


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 10 - Salt Lake City, UT to Dinsoaur National Monument, UT - Welcome Rover!

Thoughts after a month back home

Day 75 - Homeward bound again